September 11, 2011

Remembering 9/11

This morning I woke up at 6 a.m. my time to start watching the ceremony in New York and also to watch 102 minutes again. For the last 3 years, watching that has been sort of my ritual on 9/11. I cry my eyeballs out and think about how even though I didn't lose anyone I knew personally, my life changed forever. This year I chose to let my kids watch 102 minutes with me and we also watched the ceremony as they called off everyone's names. They still don't understand why I cried so much, but they kept watching. I needed a break before I put on United 93, so here I am showing you guys what I did on my nails to symbolize my remembrance of today.

It's really simple, no fancy nail art. I used China Glaze Skyscraper. On my ring finger I drew a ribbon like the one I purchased 9/12/01 over black and on my thumbnail I tried to show the night sky with the silhouette of the twin towers still standing.



I think it's important not only to remember this tragedy, but to teach it to our kids so that it's never forgotten. Almost 3,000 people were murdered on this day 10 years ago. People who were just going about their daily lives as usual. My heart goes out to everyone who was there, who was killed or knew someone who died that day. But we must also remember all the confusion and panic it caused not only to the direct victims, but to our Country. I was living in Los Angeles at the time, getting ready to go to work when I got a phone call to turn the TV on. The shock, the disbelief and then the anger that entailed. They shut LAX down, they cancelled school and we were all afraid not only of what we were seeing, but who else was going to be the target? Where else would the terrorists strike? This changed our lives forever. Some more than others, but we would never be the same. We must never forget.

Even if you can, just have a moment of silence for the victims today. That in itself is a great gesture. If you haven't seen it before, Makeup Alley posts the boards from 9/11 every year for anyone who is interested in seeing them. I've read them and it brings me to tears. You can see them here and here. if you'd like. They're also going to be showing 102 Minutes that changed America again on the History channel this evening if you're interested in watching that.

Well I am off to commence my tear fest by watching United 93. I hope you're all doing well and having a safe Sunday.

1 comment: