September 29, 2011

Tutorial: Nail repair

This is how I repair a nail break, chip, etc. There are many other methods out there but I've found this works the best for me. I did try to include alternatives in the directions to better suit your needs. 

Poor poor broken nail. :( First, clean off the nail using some nail polish remover. If the break is especially bad, I will use a qtip to remove the excess polish.

I cut a small piece of silk wrap to cover the break. I bought mine from Transdesign but I hear you can purchase them from Sally's Beauty Supply as well. I've also heard tea bags work as well. I know some people prefer to cover the whole nail with the silk wrap and proceed that way but I don't like it personally. Edit: A lovely reader has informed me that Essence also makes and sells silk wraps.

Then cut off the excess over the tip (I just used scissors, I've seen others file it down) of the nail and use a coat of nail glue over the silk wrap. I used the nail glue that comes with the Orly Nail Rescue kit which I bought from Sally's Beauty Supply.

Then quickly dip your nail into the Orly Nail Rescue kit powder.

It should look something like this.

Buff off the excess glue to smooth out the surface.

Lastly, proceed to paint your nails as usual!

13 comments:

  1. that looks wonderful, my glue dried up so I had to get a regular one- but I love the powder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought silk wraps by Essence, they're cheap and they work. I used this method a couple of times and it works perfectly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry in advance for the stupid question, but do they come off when you take your nail polish/do you have to take it off?

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow thanks , very quick and easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you don't mind, I shared the link on my Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cass-These are old pictures but I do have a silk wrap on right now on my index finger and I am still able to swatch with it. I did use regular nail glue since I could not find my Orly one. It is still on and going strong. :) It should stay on even when you remove your polish.

    imfeelingnail-venturous-That is perfectly fine! I am flattered really.

    Cristina-Great! I did not know they sold silk wraps as well. I will add it to my original post if you do not mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Janimal
    Oh wow, so how long would you say that it lasts?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cass-It usually lasts until it grows out enough and I file off the length to nubs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great! I bought the Orly kit on sale at Sally's but I was skeptical if it really worked or not. So glad it does, now I just have to go find some silk wraps :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Damn it, wish I had read this before I filed all my nails down to the quick this morning to even them out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the great tutorial! I was able to save one of my nails today because of this :)

    ReplyDelete